These coconut-crusted baked chicken strips from Clean Eating have all the crispy, crunchy goodness of fried chicken, but they’re better for you. The subtle, sweet coconut flavor is complemented by a smoky, tangy barbecue sauce that’s sure to satisfy.
Coconut Chicken Strips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup cassava flour (Look for it in health food or Latin American markets)
- 1 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder and paprika
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup unsalted tomato paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons organic unsulfured molasses
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos or reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 teaspoon all-natural, gluten-free hickory liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch ground chipotle chile powder
- Pinch black pepper
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; brush with oil.
Prepare chicken strips: Set out three shallow dishes. In the first dish, stir together flour, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. In the second dish, add eggs. In a third dish, add coconut. Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper. Working with 1 strip at a time, dredge chicken in flour mixture, turning to coat, then dip into egg, letting excess drip back into dish. Press both sides of chicken into coconut.
Arrange chicken on prepared sheet. Bake, turning once, until golden and no longer pink inside, 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare barbecue sauce: In a small saucepan, bring all sauce ingredients, plus 1/3 cup water, to a simmer over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 20-25 minutes. Serve with chicken.
Tip: The barbecue sauce recipe makes a bit more than you’ll need for the chicken. Store the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Use it to brush on chicken or pork in the last few minutes of cooking.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1/4 of chicken and 2 tablespoons sauce
Per serving: Calories: 355; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 156mg; Sodium: 424mg; Carbohydrate: 36g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 28g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 225mg; Iron: 14%; Vitamin A: 6%; Vitamin C: 6%; Calcium: 8%
from Under Armour http://ift.tt/2tlH8Bi